For this assignment, you will be creating a pamphlet for newcomers to Canada regarding both employment law and tenancy law. Read all the details and instructions before beginning:
As a university student who plans to enter the legal profession, you have started volunteering with Immigration Services. The first task that they give you is to create a pamphlet for refugees who have come to Canada and who are now looking for employment as well as places to live.
You have been told that the pamphlet will need to cover the most important points regarding employment law in Canada as well as tenancy law.
Create an outline in which you write the following:
- Introduction to Canadian civil law
- Three or four most important points about Canadian employment law that a newcomer to Canada should know
- Three or four most important points about Canadian tenancy law that a newcomer to Canada should know
Use the readings in this unit as well as any other sources. MAKE SURE THAT YOUR INFORMATION IS CANADIAN AND NOT AMERICAN.
Next, you will create what is called a tri-fold brochure or pamphlet. Because it has two folds, it allows for three narrow pages on each side of a piece of paper. When printed double-sided, it will have six narrow pages. Look at the template to your right which shows a template for a tri-fold brochure from Microsoft Word. This shows one side of a page, so you will create two pages like this. You can create your own layout or you can use a template from any word-processing program. Free online brochure resources include the following:
Your brochure will have:
- A title page with an appropriate title.
- Four (4) sections based on the topics above, each with headers.
- A section on useful websites. This will, in fact, be your bibliography.
- Images so that you communicate as much as possible through images and graphics.
Keep in mind that you will need to keep the language of your brochure very simple and straightforward. Your audience will all be English language learners.